Friday 28 September 2012

Progress

So after last weeks tutorial there was a little bit of a light bulb moment. I had all these grand schemes in my mind and it was brought to my attention that there is no way i can get this all done by myself. So in a turn of events, it seems i will only be designing one section of my grand scheme. 
My big head has been forced to shrink a little and as such I'm left a little dis-allusioned. This does however allow me to take greater ownership of my design and the all important details that my design will consist of. 
The component of my design that I will be taking greatest ownership of will be my 'nano pits', this is the waste processing component of the grand scheme. It will be residing WITHIN the boundaries of the existing Myer centre. This is the fuel that propels the new retail landscape of the future, these pits will disassemble and sort the waste of the residential component of the design (which i will not be designing).

The idea i have in my head is that these nano pits will be suspended in the existing voids of the Myer centre, they will create a visual connection between the new found industrialisation of the city centre and the borne again retail outlets. The pits in isolation cannot be an appropriate solution to the design challenges of the future scenario, the space the pits they need to be a mechanism, controlling, storing and reusing these waste materials  for the purpose of manufacturing individuality of the new retail landscape.
I envision a transport system with fork lifts on tracks buzzing around the space through the void (visually connected to the retail interface) filling and carrying these 'filing' boxes of material through the space, to be stored on shelves through out, and obtained and used for the purpose of customised 3D printed products for the retail interface of the design.
The 'ground' plane, the voids that cut through the existing building, act as the public forum the stage where the future scenario plays out, encouraging voyeurism within the design.The exterior shell of the building is gone, a new skin envelopes the building facilitating the parasitic residential component of the design (which i will not be designing), the skin is 'alive' and responsive, reflecting the exterior inputs adjusting to suit the interior interventions. 

Finally the parasitic residential component will sit on top of the existing voids opf the building, this will become the 'lift' shafts, vertical movement through the new and old will be implemented and additionally the nano pits will cascade through these shafts collecting and sorting facilitating the new sustainability closed loop system within the building.  



No comments:

Post a Comment